How to make your own all natural lip balm with Coconut Oil.
There are so many things you can do with coconut oil. From cooking with it, to using it for general health and well-being. And now many people are jumping on board to include coconut oil within their daily beauty routine.
You can even use it to make your own lip balm.
It’s very easy, and once you master it, you won’t stop at one. And they make great gifts.
Here is an easy recipe to follow, which has been flavoured with Peppermint Oil.
- 2 tablespoons beeswax pastilles
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 30+ drops peppermint essential oil (or another flavour if peppermint isn’t your thing)
- Container to put the balm in
If you would like to add some colour, you can use a ‘chemical free’ food grade colour.
All ingredients can be purchased from ebay, and of course the coconut oil can be purchased at our local supermarket.
- Melt beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler or small glass bowl over a small pot of boiling water, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove pan from heat but keep over the still-hot water to keep the mixture melted.
- Add essential oils to your preference. I just added peppermint in this recipe. I recommend adding a few drops at a time and testing a tiny amount on your arm to make sure the scent is to your liking.
- Once you’ve added the essential oils, use the pipette or a dropper to fill the lip balm tubes. This must be done quickly since the mixture will start to harden as soon as it is removed from the heat.
- Let tubes sit at room temperature for several hours until cooled and completely hardened before capping them.