It is possible to stay fit in winter without spending a fortune
Winter can be a challenging time to stay fit, and keep the weight off, but it’s definitely possible. Interestingly not every country puts on weight in winter.
According to a study published in the journal “Obesity”, there are a few countries where people do not tend to put on weight in the winter. These countries are all Asian and include:
- South Korea
The researchers believe that there are a few reasons why people in these countries do not gain weight in the winter months, climate bing the most obvious.
They also tend to eat smaller portions than people in Western countries. Second, they eat more fruits and vegetables, which are lower in calories than processed foods. Third, they are more active, even in the winter months.
If you’re looking to stay fit in the winter, it may be helpful to adopt some of the habits of people in these Asian countries. Eat smaller portions, focus on fruits and vegetables, and get regular exercise.
Here are some winter fitness tips:
- Stay active. Even if you don’t feel like going outside, there are plenty of ways to get your heart rate up indoors. Try taking an indoor fitness class, dancing around your living room or with a friend or young child, or doing some yoga. Walk whenever, wherever you can. You can also do a full body dumbbell workout at home to stay lean and strong.
- Use You Tube You Tube has so many free, indoor fitness classes you can do in the smallest of spaces. Look for inspiration with new fitness instructors and ideas from yoga to stretches and weight bearing exercises using your body.
- Purchase a skipping rope: Random idea but these affordable fitness items can get your heart racing in seconds and can be used 2-3 times a day to get your body moving anywhere, any time – and they are portable.
- Eat healthy. It’s easy to overeat during the winter, but it’s important to make healthy choices. Fill your plate with soups, vegetables, protein, fresh food and some whole grains.
- Reduce alcohol consumption Alcohol puts on weight and is empty calories. You often eat more when you drink more, so reduce the number of days you are drinking and reduce the number of drinks.
- Stay hydrated. It’s important to stay hydrated all year round, but it’s especially important in the winter when you’re more likely to be dehydrated. Drink plenty of water and other fluids. Don’t overdo the coffee, instead have teas.
- Get enough sleep. When you’re sleep-deprived, you’re more likely to overeat and make unhealthy choices. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
Here are some additional tips that you can follow:
- Layer your clothing. This will help you to stay warm without overheating.
- Warm up before you exercise. This will help to prevent injuries.
- Cool down after you exercise. This will help your body to recover.
- Listen to your body. If you’re feeling tired, take a break.