We’ve done the work for you. This is your 12-16 week half marathon training plan.
Ready to take on the challenge of a half marathon? This is the ultimate way to get that summer body – and mind in check.
Whether it’s your first time or you’re looking to set a new personal record, Bondi Beauty has got your back with a comprehensive training plan that will have you crossing that finish line in style.
Let’s lace up and get started on this exhilarating journey;
Weeks 1-4: Building the Foundation
Monday: Easy run – 3 miles Tuesday: Cross-training (cycling, swimming, or strength training) Wednesday: Easy run – 3 miles Thursday: Speed work – 6x400m intervals with 90 seconds rest Friday: Rest or light yoga/stretching Saturday: Long run – 4 miles Sunday: Rest day
Weeks 5-8: Increasing Distance and Endurance
Monday: Easy run – 4 miles Tuesday: Cross-training Wednesday: Easy run – 4 miles Thursday: Tempo run – 3 miles at a challenging but sustainable pace Friday: Rest or light yoga/stretching Saturday: Long run – 6 miles Sunday: Rest day
Weeks 9-12: Pushing the Limits
Monday: Easy run – 4 miles Tuesday: Cross-training Wednesday: Easy run – 5 miles Thursday: Speed work – 8x400m intervals with 90 seconds rest Friday: Rest or light yoga/stretching Saturday: Long run – 8 miles Sunday: Rest day
Weeks 13-16: Tapering and Fine-Tuning
Monday: Easy run – 4 miles Tuesday: Cross-training Wednesday: Easy run – 4 miles Thursday: Tempo run – 4 miles at your goal race pace Friday: Rest or light yoga/stretching Saturday: Long run – 10 miles Sunday: Rest day
Race Week: Showtime!
Monday: Easy run – 3 miles Tuesday: Rest or light yoga/stretching Wednesday: Easy run – 2 miles Thursday: Rest day Friday: Rest day Saturday: Half marathon race day!
Bondi Beauty Training Tips and Notes:
- Listen to Your Body: If you feel unusually fatigued or experience discomfort, don’t hesitate to take an extra rest day or adjust your training as needed. Your body’s well-being comes first.
- Consider Joining a Running Group: There are many running groups in Sydney and in different areas. Moore Performance based in Bondi is a great one, and joining a group can take the hassle out of training and give you a lot more support on your journey.
- Cross-Training: Incorporating cross-training sessions helps prevent burnout and works different muscle groups, enhancing overall fitness.
- Speed and Tempo Work: These workouts improve your speed and stamina. For speed work, aim for consistency in each interval. For tempo runs, maintain a comfortably challenging pace.
- Long Runs: Gradually increase your long run distance. Practice fueling and hydration strategies to find what works best for you on race day.
- Tapering: In the final weeks, reduce your training volume to allow your body to recover and recharge for race day.
- Rest and Recovery: Prioritize sleep, nutrition, and active recovery (like foam rolling and light stretching) to support your training progress.
- Race Day Strategy: Stick to your pace, enjoy the energy of the event, and remember the training you’ve put in. You’ve got this!
Ready to embrace the exhilaration of conquering 21.1 kilometres?
Bondi Beauty’s training plan is your running passport to crossing that finish line with confidence, strength, and an unbreakable spirit.
The half marathon journey won’t be without its challenges, but as you push boundaries and shatter limitations, you’ll emerge as a true half marathon champion!
Who knows, after the half, you might be ready to consider a full marathon.