National Fitness Manager of Genesis Health & Fitness, Sam Merza shares his health tips for staying fit over the holidays.
- Set your boundaries: Usually your partner, a friend or work colleague will attend events with you – speak to them about what you want to do and not do that night, they will help keep you accountable.
- Check and plan your diary: Make a smart choice at each event which enables you to better manage your health.
– Choose to drive = no alcoholic drinks.
– Choose to eat at home = no cravings for food or cake.
– Choose your exit time = no late nights
– Book in a training session the morning after = less likely to go all out.
- Keep moving: Book in your regular Health and Exercise routine where possible because with most gyms 24/7 you don’t have to stop exercising. This retention of habit and health will set you into a stronger position in 2021.
- Get outdoors: If you are travelling this holidays then make sure there are plenty of opportunities to go for walks, swims, cycles and whatever you can do out and about. Not only is it good for your physical health but does wonders for your mental health too.
- Goodwill and forgiveness to all…..especially yourself: Be patient and understanding with yourself, one small hiccup is not cause to forgot your training plan, your goals, or your personal standards so don’t lose a whole week of healthy choices because of one “bad” night
If you are a visual person and like to see your goals and progress on paper then here is a little festive treat.
Draw the outline of something related to your goals in 2021 (eg new car) on a piece of paper, write your goal on the top of the box and stick it on your fridge.
Every time you make a choice like we listed above, which will help you progress towards your goals; put a smiley face (or tick) within the box. If you do something which is going to make your goal harder to achieve, put the sad face (or cross) outside the box.
Your target is to have more smiley faces than sad, and if you have done that then it’s the best present you will receive this year.
So, when the clock strikes midnight and we look to start over in 2021 you are ready to move forward and not start off on the back foot.