Here are 5 snacks from our guest editor Nik Toth that you can grab without putting on weight.
Ever find yourself feeling guilty about snacks you can’t say no to during the day? It’s the mid-afternoon 3pm energy slump and sugar cravings that derail many people from their clean eating regime.
With summer right around the corner, no one can afford snacks that don’t support their healthy routine. You’ll be surprised to know that snacking on the right foods can actually help you lose weight, as well as keep your hands out of the office cookie jar.
If you want to slim down and keep your energy levels stable throughout the day, it’s a good idea to incorporate small protein snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon to keep your blood sugar levels stable and prevent you from overeating later.
Ideal snack options are those lower in carbs and higher in protein, as protein helps to keep you full and satisfied, which means you won’t feel the need for anything later. Eating this way can reduce the afternoon cravings, so you won’t be reaching for that piece of cake or coffee at 3pm.
Avoid consuming foods high in processed carbs, refined sugar and sodium, as these poor quality nutrients will only make you crave them more. Good quality snack options are quicker and easier than you’d imagine. Below are my favourite lean and easy protein-packed snack ideas that are healthy, guilt-free and will also satisfy your taste buds:
Supercharged Greek Yoghurt with Raspberries
- ½ cup greek yogurt (use coconut yogurt for a vegan option)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla protein
- ⅓ cup raspberries
- Stir yogurt and protein together.
- Top with raspberries.
Tuna Filled Celery Sticks
- 2 celery sticks
- 95g tuna
- 30g avocado (cubed)
- ¼ onions (diced)
- Cherry tomatoes for optional topping
- Combine tuna, avocado and onions in a bowl.
- Fill celery sticks with tuna mix.
- Top with lemon juice and pepper to taste.
Beetroot Hummus with Snow Peas
- 8 shelled snow peas
For beetroot hummus:
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 small beetroot
- 4 tbsp. tahini
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, turmeric and a pinch of cumin to taste
- Place all beetroot hummus ingredients in a food processor and blend for one minute.
- Serve 2 tbsp. of hummus with snow peas. Refrigerate remaining hummus for later use.
Ricotta and Blueberry Protein Crepes
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp. coconut milk
- 50g ricotta cheese or coconut yoghurt (vegan option)
- Pinch of vanilla extract
- Pinch of stevia
- Fry in a non-stick pan and fill with 50g of ricotta cheese or coconut yoghurt.
- Top with blueberries and cinnamon for improved blood sugar balance.
Green Protein Smoothie
- ½ avocado
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup spinach (fresh)
- 20g vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup ice (and filtered water if needed)
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor.
- All done – it’s as simple as that!