We’ve sourced what we think is one of the best sugar-free and gluten-free Valentine’s Day cupcake recipe there is.
If you’re on a strict budget this year, and unable to shop for a cute little romantic gift to give your special someone this Valentine’s Day, try baking them a sweet treat instead. Made with love, we think these cupcakes are far more romantic to give, than anything bought in a shop anyways. And, if you’re single, these cupcakes are perfect for sharing with friends and family, because hey; sharing the love with everyone is really what Valentine’s Day is all about anyways.
Recipe by Cara’s Cravings.
Ingredients: for the cupcake
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of organic butter spread (found in a health food store)
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup erythritol (this is a sugar alcohol and found in a health food store)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla stevia extract
- 7 drops of natural red food colouring (a gel typed colouring is best)
Ingredients: for the frosting
- 4 ounces organic butter spread
- 1 cup erythritol
- 15 drops vanilla stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 8 wells of a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and powdered buttermilk, if using. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, Melt, buttermilk or water, erythritol, and stevia. Mix on low speed with a hand blender until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix well, beginning on low speed and increasing to high, for about 2 minutes, until well-blended and no lumps remain. Blend in food coloring until desired color is achieved.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and Melt until fluffy (the Melt does not need to be warmed to room temperature; it will be soft enough straight from the refrigerator.) Add the powdered erythritol in several additions, beating well, until fluffy. Beat in liquid vanilla stevia drops to taste.
Enjoy sharing these delicious cupcakes with your loved ones – and Happy Valentine’s Day.