If you don’t know what a charcoal peel-off mask is, it’s a black thick, wet face mask. You paste it all over your face, wait for it to completely dry and then peel it off your face.
This process is rather painful for some, as the peel-off mask dries like glue on your skin, which is supposed to help remove impurities from your pores, as they are meant to stick to the mask and come out when peeled off.
You Tube is filled with beauty vloggers trying out the charcoal peel-off masks, with many either ending successfully, or in painful disasters. And while peel-off masks have been around for a long time, many beauty therapists are now warning people to stop using the charcoal peel-off masks as they are probably doing more harm than good.
Many therapists say, whilst the mask seems to work in removing impurities from the skin; along with any excess dead skin cells. The mask also contributes to the tearing of collagen elastin and other fibres, as well as causing micro-tearing and micro-trauma to the skin.
These masks are especially damaging for people with very dry skin. This is because charcoal has been known to remove a lot of natural oils from the skin. And for people with oily skin, where the charcoal peel-off mask seems like it’s removing all the excess oil, it’s actually stripping away all the natural oils which help create a barrier between the skin and any environmental influences.
There are plenty of alternatives out there; like a charcoal based clay mask which helps to cleanse, balance and detoxify your skin without any harsh ingredients or methods.
However, if you do decide to keep using the charcoal peel-off masks, here are some beauty tips to keep in mind when using them.
- Cleanse your skin
- Apply the charcoal peel-off mask and peel off as soon as it’s dry. Don’t wait for the instructed 30-min which may be on the packaging.
- Wash face with warm water
- Tone your skin to close the pores and re-adjust oil balance.
- Use a glycolic serum, or any serum containing a fruit enzyme to shock the cells into quickly regenerating.
- If you decide to use this mask in the day time before you get ready to head out, you must wear sunscreen to protect all the newly exposed skin cells.
- Don’t use the charcoal peel-off masks any more than once a month.